Monday, January 26, 2009

Blue Monday - 1/26 - Hull, fireplace screens and Bavaria


Today is another fun Blue Monday! Our host for Blue Monday is Smiling Sally. Be sure to visit her site for all the other participants. You never know what you will find!



Today, let's go into the living room. It's a cold morning here and I've lit the fire for you. I love firescreens and have several needlework antique screens.



What Southern Belle wouldn't have a Southern Belle firescreen. I found this on one of our vacations and just had to bring her home. The background is BLUE and the detail work is amazing on it.



If you turn to the right, you'll see my antique oak secretary. We found this on a trip to Jefferson, TX. What a fun place to antique! It's one of those neat East Texas towns with lots of wonderful old homes that have been lovingly restored. The main street has one antique shop after the other full of treasures. I found this in a store that had previously been the hospital.





For many years, we collected Hull pottery. We haven't added to the collection in a while but still enjoy the pieces we have. Most of our pieces are from the 40's and 50's. Hull ceased production in 1983.



One of my favorite pieces is this bowl we purchased at auction.


It is a 10" hand painted bowl marked "Bavaria" and "Flora". The colors are just gorgeous and it's that wonderful shade of blue.


Notice the sweet faces of the little girls. Aren't they just precious?

Thanks so much for getting out on this cold morning and visiting with me. Be sure to come back tomorrow for Tablescape Tuesday!


20 comments:

jlshall said... Best Blogger Tips

Gorgeous blues! I especially love that firescreen - beautiful work. Happy Blue Monday!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said... Best Blogger Tips

Gorgeous firescreen. I love the secretary. You have it displayed so beautifully. Great tour. Marty

Jeanne said... Best Blogger Tips

Good morning Judy Bug, Your treasures are gorgeous. I too love Hull pottery. The firescreen is gorgeous.. You love the same things I love. The vintage Bavaria Bowl is to die for. The girls faces are perfectly lovely.

Hugs...Jeanne

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said... Best Blogger Tips

Your home is beautiful...what treasures you have!

SmilingSally said... Best Blogger Tips

Beautiful blues. I love the pottery and the firescreen. Don't let it catch fire! Thanks for sharing. Happy Blue Monday.

Please tell me what make and model camera you used to take such sharp close-ups? I'm frustrated and ready to buy!

smilingsal55 AT yahoo DOT com

Stacey said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for sharing your pretties. I haven't been to Jefferson, TX in a million years. That would be fun in the spring.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Ahhh...thanks for building a fire...tis 15ยบ here in my neck of Ohio...sigh!!

But it is warm in here!

What lovely things you've shared with us!

I put up my first ever Blue Monday post today and am enjoying it so much!

Blessin's♥

C'est moi Claudette said... Best Blogger Tips

Lovely lovely is all I can say.
The faces on the girls are so angelic looking.
You have a beautiful home that looks warm and inviting.
Happy Blue Monday
Love Claudie

Glenda/MidSouth said... Best Blogger Tips

Very pretty. I really like the Bavaria bowl.
Glenda

The Quintessential Magpie said... Best Blogger Tips

Love the firescreen, Judy, and I have my grandmother's Hull vase that is very similar to yours! :-) Enjoyed this tour so much. Thanks for sharing...

Happy Blue Monday!

XO,

Sheila

ellen b. said... Best Blogger Tips

Hello Judy Bug,
What pretty blues you are showing us today. Your Hull collection is very cool. Love the charm of the firescreen and the painted bowl. Happy Blue to you!

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said... Best Blogger Tips

I really enjoyed this post and seeing all yoour treasures.

Sandra said... Best Blogger Tips

I love handpainted china and your example is beautiful. The Hull pottery is also stricking and shows that a grouping of the same types of items can be striking.

Blondie's Journal said... Best Blogger Tips

Judy...I could go on & on about your post today. The embroidered firescreen is beyond beautiful. I never knew they existed!! I would love to have one!! Where on earth can I start looking??

I definately would love to check out Jefferson, Tx. I adore those main street antique shops. The one in the former hospital must be huge!!

I also love your Hull pottery. Where did you find it??

Hope I didn't bombard you with questions. Just loved this post!

Happy Blue Monday! :-)

xoxo
Janie

CC said... Best Blogger Tips

I love all your blues..but the firescreen is just to die for. She's lovely.. you lucky girl to have found her. Happy Blue Monday and have a great week.

bj said... Best Blogger Tips

Beautiful blues you share with us today. That firescreen is the prettiest thing and I love your vintage bowl...just beautiful!
xo bj

Sweetie said... Best Blogger Tips

Everything is wonderful The firescreen and Bavaria hand painted bowls are really special. Happy Blue Monday!
Sweetie

Jewel Sauls said... Best Blogger Tips

Love all your blues, especially that firescreen! :D Jewel

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said... Best Blogger Tips

I have my mother's Hull vase...looks just like your collection. That is beautiful!!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

The fireplace is looking so beautiful.
I Buy Wood Stoves