Saturday, January 17, 2009

Birds, Birds and More Birds!



As I sat at my island this morning (yes, I'm on the laptop), this "black cloud" suddenly covered my kitchen window. I thought it was odd. Then I glanced to the right and out my french doors. Black...everywhere!

It was birds! Thousands of birds! I've never seen anything like it. My yard was literally covered in black. You couldn't see the grass.

It was hard to get some pictures because I knew opening the door would scare them. I tried a few from inside.



Then I tried opening the door and got a few shots off.

Now you see the birds flying away.





There's a reason for that besides my opening the door. I forgot about Boudreaux. Boudreaux is a car chaser. Yes, I hate to admit it but he loses all inner control when a car goes by. We have to take him out on a leash. I know "we" need some training...sigh.

So, Boudreaux zips out the door while I'm snapping pics and off he goes! See that little white spot in the picture. Yep, that's Boo.

And the birds have left and not come back...but what fun while they were here!


13 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said... Best Blogger Tips

Where I use to live, I would get the huge flocks a couple times a year, that would cover my yard. Two trees outside my courtyard were covered in birds a couple days ago and I knew if I opened the door to take a pic. they would fly off. I should have anyway -oh the mess they left on my patio and umbrella. :( Have a great weekend.
Glenda

Confessions of a Plate Addict said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Judybug! Do visions of Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds"...the original one...come to mind when you see a flock like that or are you too young? lol My cats would have torn through the door, too! Have a great weekend...Debbie

Stacey said... Best Blogger Tips

They were stopping off for a little break maybe. The crows roost in the woods right behind my house each evening. It's weird when they all fly in - and noisy.

patti said... Best Blogger Tips

That was probably all the birds from Chicago fleeing -19 temps from yesterday. Hope Boudreaux made it home after his morning adventures.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I've heard that it was birds that caused that plane to go down in NY...shivers...I'm glad everyone was OK!

I like to feed the birds in winter...but I like the pretty birds and will chase of the black ones...is that mean? Prolly...LOL!

Enjoying your blog!♥

Blondie's Journal said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh Judybug!!
You had me rolling on the floor laughing. Blackbirds in flight!! But in all seriousness, has Boudreaux come home??
Love ya! :-)
Janie

Lorri said... Best Blogger Tips

Looks like an invasion! By the way I love your blog banner. It always makes me smile!
Lorri

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh my...look at them all...too many for me!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for stopping by my site and casting your "vote" on the survey question. :) You are in line with most folks.

Love the yard with all of the birds. Great pics.

Wendy said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, that is a lot of birds!

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Wendy

Cami @ Creating Myself said... Best Blogger Tips

I once had a huge flock of redwings like that in my backyard. One minute they were there & the next minute the sky went black (just as you described)....I looked out & a huge red tailed hawk had landed on the railing of my deck. It was one of the most awe-inspiring sights I have ever witnessed.

Glenda said... Best Blogger Tips

Judy, the birds visited us this morning in swarms! Your pictures and your blogs are really neat. I love your dishes - and am amazed at your knowledge of so many kinds of dishes.

Sit A Spell said... Best Blogger Tips

That's a lot of birds!